CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, March 5, 2012

The Hats we wear...and what's underneath


I'm so blessed to have found an amazing Mom's group at my church...it's the first thing I looked for when we moved because I know how important it is for me to get out and be with other women away from the kiddos for a few hours each month.

Well, today we had a marriage and family counselor speak on marriage. Funny that at least half of the talk wasn't on marriage but on loving ourself and knowing ourself. Because she made the analogy that a marriage isn't as strong if we bring half of a circle (think of a chain) and our spouse brings the other half. A circle is still made from the two halves are easily broken. If we bring a whole circle...they are linked and can not be broken. So much of the talk focused on loving ourselves and knowing ourselves so that we can be that whole circle not only for our spouse but for our children, friends and family.

The counselor had a great excersize that really made me think...she had us introduce ourselves without mentioning our spouse, kids, job or family. Wow- funny...that's how I always would introduce myself when I was single but now the first things people usually hear about me are about Chris, Abby and Kinz. She discussed how the hats we wear mother, wife, friend, daughter, sister, teacher etc are not what define us and how when we lose one of those roles or they are in turmoil it can really turn our world upside down if we don't take care of ourselves. I'm thinking to myself how gross and messed up my hair can be after I've worn a baseball hat or my cute knit headband with flowers. If I don't take care of myself and what I need I can't be the mother, wife, friend I need to be for others.

Chris can always tell when I haven't had enough "people time" as he calls it...I'm cranky and I'm not the wife and mother that I want to be. He will always encourage me to get out whether it be shopping, a date, or time with my friends while he watches the girls. He recoginizes that taking care of me is essential and not selfish to all of the roles and hats I wear.

Another thing that hit me is really knowing myself is knowing God and who He created me to be. Because, honestly if I don't know that and try to find myself outside of that I will not be true to who I really am.

Well...here it is...how I introduced myself sans my kiddos and wonderful hubby...
I'm an outgoing math nerd who loves to be creative. Last night, I couldn't go to sleep because I was trying to figure out a general equation to cut the right size of fabric pieces for the burp cloths I'm making. That's the weird combo that I am...creative yet a math nerd. I can't wait to watch the Bachelor season finale and I still love being Catholic...yes I'm a little quirky and love being around people.

I'm going to make a real effort to take care of myself so I can be the person God created me to be and be the best wife, mom, friend that I can be...with that I'm off to a little sewing and Bachelor: After the Rose...should be a fun night ;)

PS- Sad to say a little bit...but this picture was from 2007...seems like that aren't that many pictures of must me anymore...well not sad...I love pics of my kiddos...just interesting ;)
On that note, if your facebook feed is clogged up with pictures of my kiddos I'm so sorry...that's how the lightroom 3 trial posts them....should be fixed soon ;)

3 comments:

Andrea

Love this post! Maintaining ourselves and having other interests is so important I agree!! The idea of introducing myself w/o mentioning family would be quite a challenge! Thanks for posting about that....I'm going to think on it!!

Amanda

Great post, Cass! Definitely gave me some things to think about. Miss you!

Darryl, Madeline, Caleb, and Jonah

Beautiful. I really like this! Got me thinking a lot...

Post a Comment