CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, July 21, 2013

Early to Rise...



So the Lord has been working on me and my wonderful husband Chris. Both he and I are not really what you would call morning people. We wait until the girls begin asking to get up or let them play for a while in their room until they've had it :) before we roll out of bed. I think the last two years has been a bit of a blur with them and we've just been surviving. I LOVE my time in the evening when the girls are in bed and I can relax. I tend to stay up because I'm loving that time so much and then don't want to get up in the morning. Well, Chris started reading, Early to Rise and about a month ago I finished A Mother's Rule to Life. Early to Rise concentrated on creating a habit of rising early for 30 days. I haven't read it yet but have been reaping the benefits after Chris finished it. A Mother's Rule to Life teaches you how to create a flexible schedule for your day with the Five P's in mind (Prayer, Person, Partner, Parent, Provider in that order). I've realized that I'm a very stubborn person as God tries to lead me to something new. That has happened with rising early. I HATE getting up early. I've always slept in until the last moment. Well, having my husband start his book and getting early held me accountable to do the same. I don't always do it...but when I sleep in (have my kids be my alarm clock). I realized that I'm not as happy to get up and see them because I'm not having time to work on Prayer and Person which should be my number one and two priorities so that I can be a good Partner, Parent and Provider. So, for the last week and a half I've set my alarm an hour before the girls. Some days I get there and some days I don't, but the days I wake up earlier I feel more balanced and peaceful, ready to take on my vocation as wife and mother. Chris has commented that he loves having his quiet time and looks forward to the morning. Here are a few hints that he's given me from the book he read and I've learned from my book. I would also love other hints from early risers who have been doing this longer than I have :) I'm still a rookie!

-Go to bed early the night before (8 hours before my intended wake up for me). I'm not going to get up if I'm not well rested

-Have morning coffee, tea, or breakfast treat ready to go the night before so I have something to look forward to in the morning

-Stay away from news, social media, and email for the first part of my morning routine. Start with prayer and quiet time so I'm not bombarded with to do list or things to worry about.

-Have clothes laid out the night before so I'm ready to conquer the day

-Get out of bed first thing when the alarm goes off...set my alarm with a message about having the blessing of another day or someone I can offer my getting up early for as a prayer

-Know that getting up early is like exercising or eating right, it might not feel good at the moment but it's good for my mental and emotional health. I'll reap the benefits later.

-If one of my kids wakes up early (which happens every once in a while). Embrace it and enjoy some special quiet time with them. But remind them that it's Mommy's quiet time and we have to read or do activity quietly. Some people have a wake up time (ex- 8am) kids can not get out of bed before then...I like that but mine are a little to young to enforce just yet.

-Have a good book I'm reading to look forward to if I'm struggling getting up.

Chris reminded me that this isn't time to be more productive or get more checked off my to do list but time to be a little selfish and take care of myself so I am ready to be the best wife and mother I can be. That was something I needed to hear...it also goes right along with today's Gospel about Martha and Mary. This is truly my built in time to be a Mary in a Martha world.

This post is also a bit for myself to reflect on the time spent waking up early and hold myself accountable for this new routine. I'm thankful for my husband for being the example and quiet motivator that he is...It's great to have a partner that continues to better himself and you do the same from his example.

I'm also joining Jen at Conversion Diary in her link up...hopefully I can try this for seven days. I've been away from my blog lately!



2 comments:

Amanda

I'm totally in survival mode!! Going to try and read A Mother's Rule to Life. I've heard others mention it and am in need of mama help. And, yay for you blogging again! Looking forward to it! Miss ya, Cass!! :)

Ann-Marie Ulczynski

Good luck Cassie! I love that you are updating again. You know I am not a morning person either. But for me, getting up before the girls makes all the difference. Especially in my attitude towards my morning routine. I don't love unloading the dishwasher and stuffing diapers, but I MUCH prefer doing it solo (as opposed to K hanging on my legs)!

Post a Comment