CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, March 28, 2014

Mass with two littles

So today I had the grand idea of going to daily mass with the Abs and Kinz. We somehow were dressed and out the door to the Y to work out by 7:45 so I thought...I can do this...work out, shower and mass. No problem. I made it through the work out and showered thinking to myself, "Wow...we look good and we are going to mass all by 9am"...yes, if you thought wow she is prideful...God must have thought the same thing...or maybe that Litany of Humility kicked in after saying it a few times.

I thought we would slip into church unnoticed but Father Sebastian was getting ready to walk in (he was praying with the alter servers and deacon before mass...I know...we are so blessed...but you will think even more after reading the post). But, he stopped before entering the church, smiled at all three of us and gave us individual blessings. Abby was thrilled especially because he was wearing her favorite color, purple. We tried to sit near the front so they could see and be attentive...but of course ended up in the middle of the pew because that was all that was left. The poor man next to us...

We made it through about the Gospel okay and then it went downhill (mind you this is only a 30 minute daily mass). Abby would not give Kinsley a book that she wanted and if you have heard Kinsley at all when she is mad, she has one of those voices that only the dogs can hear (that's how her Aunt Che-Che describes it). Then Kinsley would not stop playing on the kneeler after she fell once. Kinsley also has no concept of whispering (and in the small Mary chapel you can hear everything). So we decided to leave, mid-homily. We threw everything in my purse and grabbed Kinsley as she was screaming "I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE" on repeat.

We made it outside after the dreaded walk of shame (the one wear you are carrying your screaming child down the aisle at church)...had a long talk and tried to go back in. We stayed outside the doors and tried to pray but of course the holy water was calling and the girls wanted to play in it. Strike 2...we headed outside.

We walked all the way to the car...Kinsley still screaming and tried to calm down. It was past communion so we couldn't go back to receive the Eucharist, but I felt like we needed to go back...I asked the girls to apologize to Fr. Sebastian for throwing a fit during mass. They said they wanted to and they wanted to go see the Mary statue so we headed back.

Fr. Sebastian welcomed the girls with open arms. Kinsley said, "I'm sorry for throwing a fit at church" and he did something beautiful. He picked her up, told her he forgave her and hugged her. Of course Abby wanted to apologize as well and he did the same. He was Jesus to my girls. He was present to them, he forgave them and he loved them. He embodied the Gospel when Jesus tells them to let the little children come to me.

Also, the sweet man next to us brought us our crayons we forgot and told me not to worry about the girls and the fit.

Some might have judged us, but that's okay. I'm trying and I want my girls to be comfortable at church and know Jesus.

I realized that the way he forgave them is how God forgives us. He picks us up, forgives us and then loves us. I realized to, that I must forgive my children like that. Of course there are consequences for our actions. But, I can't hold grudges or bring up past behavior over and over again. It was a moment of beauty to watch our priest interact with our children. Abby told Chris at dinner that Fr. Sebastian hugged her after she apologized and Kinsley said it was nice.

I'm so blessed to be at part of our community. We walked around after mass and looked at the statues of the saints and the crucifix and had our own little prayer time. I think I learned more about forgiveness than if the girls would have bee on their best behavior and we were able to stay all of mass. It was humbling, but I wouldn't have learned the lesson I did without that humility. It wasn't about embarrassment, but about learning through our experience. We tried...sometimes that is all we can do...try. God does the rest.














I real

1 comments:

Ann-Marie Ulczynski

I love, love, love that you are updating again! The scrapbook looks amazing. And the camping trip looks like so much fun. Sorry that Mass was so rough, but I am glad everyone was kind about it.

Post a Comment