So lately I've had a bunch of people asking me about cloth diapering...how we do it...what brands I recommend...etc. I thought I would go ahead and write a post about it to get it to the blogging world :) I won't try to convince anyone to do it because every family has to do what works best for them but for our family it is what works best. Having 2 under the age of 1 means a lot of diapers! I was just able to add to my stash with a big fuzzibunz sale so I can't wait to get Kinsley started once we finish with all of the disposable diapers that were given to us and the ones we had left over from Abby. I'm not a total granola mommy because I have to put Abby in a disposable at night (we've tried it all but she soaks through everything!) But one disposable a day compared to what I would be spending on all disposable is much cheaper!
Okay here goes...I'm listing in order of importance so if you want to get started you can buy what is at the beginning of the list and work down from there. We didn't buy everything once. We started adding as we needed things and I had more sleep so I could add more to our routine. Also, these are the brands that I've tried and currently love...there are so many things out there to try...just wanted to throw out what works for our family!
The Diapers
Fuzzibunz one size.
Quantity- 16 ish
I love these because they grow from newborn until toddler. I don't have to worry about sizes and buying some of each size. I like that. Also because they are pocket diapers you can stuff more inserts in as baby wets more (more on that later). The fleece is so nice on baby's bottom...it keeps baby dry!
We were blessed enough to get these as Abby's first Christmas gift so we got 24. That is more than enough! You can probably get by with 16 if you want to do laundry every other day. I'm able to do laundry about every 3 days or depending on if the diaper pail smells :)
These are pricey but totally worth it to me. Also, if you wait around fuzzibunz does a buy 6 get 2 free sale a few times a year. You can do mulitples of this deal so buy 12 get 4 free etc. If you can wait it's worth it for this deal.

Fuzzibunz Diaper Hanging Pail
These are pricey but totally worth it to me. Also, if you wait around fuzzibunz does a buy 6 get 2 free sale a few times a year. You can do mulitples of this deal so buy 12 get 4 free etc. If you can wait it's worth it for this deal.

Fuzzibunz Diaper Hanging Pail
Quantity- 2
I realized that Abby's nursery was starting to smell with just the bag hanging from the door so I got a trashcan with lid (one that I can open with my foot for ease when I'm carrying a baby) added two command hooks inside the trash can and added a freebreeze smelly thing. I bought so I have an extra when I'm doing laundry. These are great because you unzip the bottom of the bag and the diapers fall straight into the washer without having to touch them.
Fuzzibunz Zipper Diaper Tote
Quantity- 1 or 2
Must have for on the go...cloth diapering is really easy on the go...this also has a terry cloth insert that you can add some drops of essential oil to so that your diaper bag won't be stinky! I got by on one for a while and then added another when I found it on sale.
Allen's Laundry Detergent
Quantity- 1 (you will need more in about a year)
Invest in the pump when you buy this. It's about $5 more and makes it a lot easier. It also has a stopper that gives less for HE washers. I do a rinse and spin cycle first and then put the detergent in for a whitest whites cycle with an extra rinse.
Baby Kicks Hemp Doubler
Quantity- 6 (or more depending on laundry and how much baby wets)
Great for going out and naps when you can't change baby right away. Hemp is nice because it's a lot thinner but absorbs a ton of liquid.

Cloth Wipes
Fuzzibunz Wonderwipes
Quantity- at least 20
Baby Bits Wipe Solution
Quantity- About 1 box every 6 months
I added cloth wipes to our routine after about a month of getting into diapering. I was already doing laundry so I thought why not add in cloth wipes. I made my own solution which works great but also found these little bits that you can add to water that are safe and recommended for cloth diapers (you have to be really careful what you put in your cloth diaper laundry because it can mess up the fleece).
You can actually wait on both of these if your baby is only on breast milk because the poo from breast milk is water soluble and can go in the washer. When they start solids you have to think about investing in liners or the sprayer. I would reccomend the sprayer becasue it's a one time cost instead of a reoccurring cost. You will however need liners for traveling or running errands or if you have to use diaper rash creme on baby because that can also mess up the fleece on the diaper.
I use the Bummis biosoft liners (large if they are on formula small if they are on solids) and just bought the Fuzzibunz chrome diaper sprayer. I like both. It just depends what you will need it for and how often you travel...etc.
Hope all of this info helps! Please feel free to email me at cassie dot conger at gmail dot com if you have questions on getting started with cloth diapering. It's definitely an initial investment but has saved our family a ton of money and let's be honest how cute are babies with a little pink cloth on their bum :)











2 comments:
this and the other info you sent was super helpful! i just got 2 one size diapers in the mail from that zuilly website you told me about. i think we're going to go with these and are doing an amazon registry to help with the initial investment. i like the idea of cloth wipes, too.
I am thinking about moving to cloth and have for a while now...but my hubby isn't quite on board;), and also I'm worried about where the initial investment would come from--we have a lot going on right now financially. Also i am worried that I'll not like it! Great post that I am bookmarking though!!;)
Post a Comment